Albert Schweitzer (14 January 1875 - 4 September 1965) was one of the most respected doctors/theologians of the 20th century. In 1953 he received the Nobel Peace Prize. He became involved as a doctor in Africa and founded a hospital in Lambaréné in 1913. His many talents earned him several doctorates. After graduating high school, he pursued his musical talents by studying organ music and piano in Paris. In addition, he studied theology and philosophy in Strasbourg. in 1905; he wrote a biography of Johann Sebastian Bach. Since the young, ambitious Schweitzer wanted to work as a missionary but was denied this, he studied medicine (1905-1913) to pursue this activity. At the same time, he received the title of professor in 1912 for his achievements in theology. Animal welfare was always close to Albert Schweitzer's heart. The Albert Schweitzer Foundation campaigns for peaceful animal life and against factory farming.
Quotes from Albert Schweitzer
- To think with the heart is the right way for man.
- Man is ethical only if he regards life as such, that of plants and animals and that of man, as sacred, and if he gives himself helpfully to life in need.
- I have become a person who is somewhat dangerous for others because I represent the thought among them that all happiness we experience means that we must give away something of our lives for it.
- He who undertakes to do good must not expect that people will remove stones from his path because of it but must be prepared for the fateful thing that they will roll some on him.
- Animals cannot speak, yet they think much more than we imagine
Other birthdays on 14 January
- Dave Grohl (14 January 1969, musician, Foo Fighters)
- Carl Weathers (14 January 1948, actor, The Mandalorian)
- Steven Andrew Soderbergh (14 January 1963, director)
- Jason Bateman (14 January 1969, actor)
Chinese zodiac sign:
牛 Metal Ox
506 days ago (1 year, 4 months, 21 days)
This Trine gives you excellent learning skills, a sound mind, quick wit, language skills, and good judgment. Your intelligence is powerful. You practice independent and practical thinking and are open to everything new. It's an excellent time to go on a road trip.
This is an excellent time to conduct business meetings - especially if you need to sell ideas with people who hold a lot of respect and authority. Women in power could help you now. Any matters that need emotional control should be handled, as you will feel mentally strong. Financial decisions come easy now, as you won't make any extravagant, or unnecessary, purchases.
Current timezone: Pacific/Auckland (UTC +12:00). change timezone
Please choose a day: